Saturday, October 19

Challenge: Steampunk Spells Clock

I do love a good challenge! Over at SanDee's and amelie's Steampunk Challenge, there is a Tic Tac Toe challenge, which lets you choose your parts. I chose clock, gears, and ribbons for mine.
It all started with a Tim Holtz clock, and then the gears in my steampunk imagination started whirring, and the play began.
First step - painting! I used Distress Paints - salty ocean, bundled sage, seedless preserves, mowed lawn, antique bronze, and tarnished brass, and I am liking this. I kept getting paint on the glass and wiping it off, probably should have masked it. Next step, add rock candy crackle, which got rather drippy, and in my impatience I went for the heat gun, and ended up with some interesting results. I was definitely inspired by my Creative Chemistry 102 class!
Here is a close up. After the crackle dried enough, I went over it with Gathered Twig distress ink. I love to play with color!
Next step, layer some flowers (inked up), gears, pocket watch, embellies on the front cover, then I just started to play and forgot to take photos along the way. So, here are several to show you how it ended up!
I really wanted to create some depth with layers, so inside are Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells elements, gears, a domino, bottle...
Brainstorm! Put a tealight inside to illuminate it! Love the effect!
Inside layering detail...
Found this neat octopus which just looked like it belonged, and added some cheesecloth fibers.
Detail of some texture on the back - one of those "mistakes" with the rock candy.
A secret key to hang on the back hook seemed perfect, because I would think steampunk spells would be pretty secret.
Lots of ribbons, cobwebby cheesecloth...
There you have it - my Steampunk Spells Clock! I will also be showing this at my art gathering this week. I can't wait to see what everyone else did.
Time to celebrate Samhain!

5 comments:

  1. OMG! LOVE your altered clock and I LOVE the tiny octopus!!!

    A wonderful piece of altered art and soooo many wonderful things to discover!!! Awesome job!

    Thank you so much for sharing it with us at SanDee&amelie's!!!!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwww beautiful object with so many details. love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Maura and so much detail.
    Crafty hugs, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this clock! Great job! Happy Holidays. Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest