Saturday, April 15

Earth's Evolution Salvaged




Welcome Steampunk fans! Lots of great inspiration already over at SASPC, and now we have some more for you. Remember, our challenge is open to anyone working in a steampunk or industrial style. 

I'd been pondering ideas for this month's project and then I remembered we celebrate Earth Day on April 22, so I knew I wanted to head in this direction. Climate change affects all species, which got me thinking about evolution and what effects past changes in Earth's climate have had, and that led to thinking about salvaging the Earth. Whew, heavy stuff, right? 

Is it as simple as lubricating the rusty gears and mechanisms that keep the Earth rotating? Do the circuit boards need fixing? That might be all that is needed in a Steampunk world to restore the balance!

I started with the "small" thickboard Etcetera tag from Stampers Anonymous and Tim Holtz, added a layer of gesso, then used Modeling paste and a palette knife with the Short Circuit stencil.


Once that was good and dry, time to add some lovely color. This photo is not clear, but does show the sequence of colors from top down with the American acrylics - Sea Glass, Apple Green, Purple Rain, Deep Turquoise, and Prussian Blue.


While that dried, I worked on these wonderful chipboard gears from Boozy Bear. I layered the fluid acrylics on in this order: Gold, Payne's Grey, Quinacridone Gold, Prussian Blue Hue, and then misted on Carbon Black.



Then, I worked in some Patina Green antiquing paste and rubbed off any excess with a baby wipe.


Ok, so while that dried, I painted the Tim Holtz world die cut with the American Apple Green and Deep Turquoise...


...then added some Q. Gold.


Meanwhile I had stamped my Evolution Man (Tim Holtz) and Lady Kraken (Graphic 45) onto tissue wrap using Ranger archival Jet Black and my MISTI to get clear images. I tore around these and adhered them to the tag with Matte Medium.  Time to add in another layer with some Lamp Black and part of an old pen to make circle marks.


 A bit more color, Copper Kettle Metallic Lustre to highlight the circuits, and ready to add the Earth.


I added a bit of Green Gold to highlight Lady Kraken.


Time for the tag to evolve! Putting it all together, and adding gears, metal and Salvaged.


Details: Evolution...


Lady Kraken...


I think Victorians were fascinated by the idea of evolution - look at the scientific societies they formed, the expeditions they went on and  the collections they amassed. Time to lubricate the gears to keep Earth spinning and land and sea in balance.


Are the creative gears whirring in your head? I hope you will join us this month for our Anything Goes challenge ! I'm looking forward to your creation. 

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Additional Supplies:

Quote Chips (Tim Holtz)
glue
brushes

Thanks so much to our sponsors who keep the gears turning at SASPC!







SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest